Thursday, August 14, 2008

God so loved


In John 3:16 and 1John 4:11, we see the phrase, “so loved.” What is it about love that John is communicating in these two passages by using that phrase? Do you think he is referring to quantity or quality?

I think my daughter has much love. In other words, she has a large quantity of love and she's very cute in the way she shows it. Because of her love, she sometimes gives me gifts that come from her toy box. I enjoy getting gifts from her toy box. (sometimes she will wrap them in writing paper) Regardless of the type of gift, I know that her love is true, and that there is a lot of it. She gets an “A” for quantity.

While she has much love, I would have to say that there is a certain quality of her love that has room to grow. It is seen in this: shortly after she gives me the gift from her toy box, she wants it back so she can play with it. When I ask her if the toy is really mine, she says yes. However, she still wants it back and expects me to give it to her. Since she is my daughter, I give her an “A” for quality also. But only because the quality seems appropriate for her age (6 years).

It seems that there is a relationship between quality and quantity in the category of love. Large quantities of love can be expressed in shallow or deep ways. What determines whether it is shallow or deep is the quality.

When John 3:16 tells me that God “so” loved the world that He gave His one and only Son, I see quality. In this case, the word, “so” could better be understood as saying, “thusly,” “like so,” or "in this way."
In other words, God loved the world and showed it like so: He gave His one and only Son. Likewise, 1John 4:11 says, since God “so” loved us. Notice once again, in verses 9 and 10 we are told that God “showed” the quality of His love by doing something in particular. He sent His Son to die for us. Once again, quality seems to be the focus. The word, “so” used here is ootos in Greek. This word is an adverb and describes degree. The Strong’s Concordance translates the word, “in this way.”


I’m not saying that quantity is unimportant. I am just saying that I think the focus in these two passages is not on quantity. It is on love’s manifestation; its cost; its quality.

John seems to be saying; “If God’s love looks like the offering of His one and only Son unto death on a cross for our sakes, what should our love look like?”

No comments:

Post a Comment