Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Bible Study / Luke 5

Luke 5

Get Started:

1. What’s your favorite fish to eat? To catch? Do you like lake, stream or ocean fishing?

Go Deeper:

2. In verse 5, Peter explains to Jesus why His suggestion wont work but then agrees to do it anyway. Have you ever been prompted by God’s Word to do something that didn’t make sense at the time? Share the event with your group.

3. Read about Peter’s reaction to the success of their fishing trip in verse 8. Why does Peter want Jesus to “go away”? What emotions do you think are being experienced by Peter? Is Peter afraid? If so, of what?
  • Exodus 33:18-20 Then Moses said, "Now show me your glory." 19 And the LORD said, "I will cause all my goodness to pass in front of you, and I will proclaim my name, the LORD, in your presence. I will have mercy on whom I will have mercy, and I will have compassion on whom I will have compassion. 20 But," he said, "you cannot see my face, for no one may see me and live."
4. Compare Peter’s reaction in verse 8 to Isaiah 6:5. How is Isaiah’s reaction similar or dissimilar to Peter’s? Continue reading the verses that follow. What do you see happening in these verses that alleviates the tension we are reading about? What are the resulting responses?

5. In verse 10, Jesus tells Peter that he will now “catch men.” What does Jesus mean by this? What can be learned about "catching men" from what Peter just experienced?

6. As you read verses 8 and 10, why do you think Jesus chooses to use a “sinful man” in the endeavor of “catching men?”

7. “I’m a pretty good person” is a statement you will hear often when discussing with someone his/her need for a savior and how God has provided for that need. Do you think it’s important for a person to arrive at the conclusion that Peter did in verse 8? Why or why not?

Put it into practice:

1) Have you gone “fishing” lately? Pray to be used by God to “catch men.” Pray also for God to be preparing the people you come into contact with to hear the good news.

Quote Of The Week
Unless we change our direction, we are likely to end up where we are headed.
--Chinese Proverb

No comments:

Post a Comment